Epidemiology PhD Program
We welcome and review applications throughout the year, however,
applications should be received by March 15 to be guaranteed
consideration for Fall Semester admission (later applications are
considered as space permits).
Earlier applications are recommended if applicants want to apply for
financial support from MSU. The application deadline for University
scholarships is typically before the end of December.
1. Basic admission requirements for all candidates:
- Masters degree or other advanced degree (under special
circumstances individuals with only a bachelors degree will be
considered). Provide all grade transcripts (post high-school).
- GRE scores. Test results should not be older than 5 years. This
requirement may be waived for individuals possessing an earned
doctoral or advanced degree, such as DDS, DVM, DO, MD or PhD from a
university in the U.S. or Canada.
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from an
academic advisor from a previous program. The Department of
Epidemiology does not require any special forms or instructions for
letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
Research Interest Form
- Writing sample: Copy of your master’s thesis, capstone project
report, published paper or similar writing sample.
- Letter from MSU Epidemiology faculty member indicating his or
her willingness to advise student during their PhD studies.
2. International applicants must provide TOEFL scores.
score of 90 on the internet-based TOEFL, 580 on the paper-based TOEFL or
237 on the computer-based TOEFL, or passing grade on the MSU English
Language Test (MSUELT).
- Scores must be no older than 2 years.
International students with full native fluency in English are exempt
MSU Graduate School requirements).
MSU requires a
Statement of Financial Proof for international applicants to be
considered for admission; this document also includes a useful
checklist of other items needed.
3. Preferred background of applicants:
- Masters degree in Epidemiology, Public Health or Biostatistics
or advanced degree in related field
A minimum GPA of 3.5 in the last academic program.
- Above the 50th percentile on the GRE verbal, quantitative, and
analytical writing sections, or the MCAT.
- Previous course work: at least one year each of college-level
biology and mathematics/statistics.
- Prior experience in a health field is recommended.
4. Applicants with prior graduate degrees or other advanced
- A maximum of 9 semester credit hours from graduate courses can
be transferred toward credits for the PhD. These courses must match
existing course options in the MSU program and be approved by the
- Students must obtain course equivalency approvals for all
previous MS/MPH in epidemiology coursework to ensure courses taken
as part of their previous degree are equivalent to the MSU MS in
epidemiology core course requirements. Any deficiencies will require
enrollment in the MSU epidemiology core MS course; these credits are
in addition to required PhD credits.
Where to Apply
1 Online graduate school application - submit to MSU Graduate School
2 All other materials - please email or mail to: Nancy Bieber,
Graduate Secretary email@example.com
Or mail to:
Department of Epidemiology
Michigan State University
909 Fee Road
East Lansing, MI 48824